About Gowrie Court Urban Renewal
Amalgamated Property Group is proposing to build a new high quality residential development on the former Gowrie Court public housing site in Narrabundah. The land is located at 39 McIntyre Street, on land formally known as Block 3 Section 62 Narrabundah, adjoining Jerrabomberra Oval.
The site, which is currently unoccupied and closed off from public use whilst the former Gowrie Court buildings are demolished, is zoned RZ5 for high-density residential use and has an area of 13,775 square metres.
The Crown Lease permits the development of multi-unit housing of not more than 177 dwellings.
Amalgamated Property Group plans to revitalise the derelict block with a diverse range of modern and high-quality homes designed around a central village green that will further emphasis the ‘garden’ suburb neighbourhood character of Narrabundah.
Key features of the proposal
- 158 apartments across two 6-storey and two 3-storey apartment buildings
- 19 townhouses of 2 storeys in height
- One level of basement car parking
- A central landscaped community zone with a high level of amenity
The development will provide a mix of dwelling types for a range of residents including singles, couples, families and ‘downsizers’.
The central landscaped zone is to be the key feature of the development which will promote connectivity through a vast ‘green space’ and ancillary deep root zones for future established gardens and trees
The site’s central landscaping area will provide recreation areas for residents and provide a pedestrian link that connects McIntyre Street to the nearby Jerrabomberra Oval playing fields.
The site is close to a range of local amenities, including playing fields, schools, and the Griffith and Manuka shops. The site is also adjacent to a rapid bus route linking the site to Woden, Barton and the City Centre.
Narrabundah Precinct Code
Under the Narrabundah Precinct Code, the relevant planning Code that includes rules and criteria for the subject site, the site is divided into development areas that permit up to 6 storeys building height or 21.5 metres in height for part of the site, with most of the site restricted to buildings of 2 or 3 storeys.
The proposed development meets the ACT’s stated objectives for the zoning of the land by:
- providing higher-density residential living in close proximity to facilities, services, and public transport
- allowing for a different density of homes than what was previously on the site,
- providing a diverse range of housing options close to public amenity;
- providing quality on-site amenity to future residents and their guests, contributing to the local landscape and neighbourhood;
- promoting active living and active travel by being close to the Jerrabomberra Oval and walking distances to shops and schools; and
- creating a new, safe and better connected pedestrian links from McIntyre and Stuart Streets through to Jerrabomberra Oval.
Images of the proposed designs can be found at the below links:
We endeavour to to provide more design information as it comes to hand prior to lodgement of the Development Application.
We welcome any feedback on the proposed development.
Should you have any comments or questions, please contact Canberra Town Planning:
T: (02) 6262 5091